Images from top to bottom since I can't figure out how to write under each one...
-Kathleen's son Max feeding a chicken
-Me harvesting swiss chard for the farmers' market
-A view of the 2.5 acre field
-Our setup at the farmers' market (I picked them myself!)
-Tomatoes in the greenhouse
-The house I'm staying in
-Me with a chicken!
So I survived the first week here at the farm! I was seriously ready to leave halfway through the first day because I was nowhere near prepared for the intense physical workout I would be getting and the entire body was aching. Today is the first day I haven't been totally sore. Each day I'm loving it more and more.
Throughout the week myself and Kathleen(owner of the farm) along with a few other volunterrs, have weeded the 2.5 acres of the field, planted zucchini, squash, and tomatoes, harvested carrots, spinach, radishes, swiss chard, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, onions, cilantro, and eggs from the chickens. All the farming and harvesting is done manually, so that has taken a toll on my body, but I'm getting stronger each day!
My daily duties are feeding the chickens, collecting eggs, and watering the tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse. We are working on getting more things in the ground. We have corn, elephant garlic, basil, blackberries, greenbeans, sunflower sprouts and more on the way.
Wednesday and today we went to farmer's markets, one here in Wimberley, another in San Marcos about 20 minutes away. We did all the harvesting in the morning, so it's great to know where your food comes from.
I am also working on building a treehouse! I just started yesterday, so I will have more pictures soon!
Kathleen who owns the farm is super nice and also kinda crazy at times, which is understandable trying to manage a farm by yourself. We have another volunteer, Jose, who is a great worker and makes our lives easier. We had a girl from Austin come for a couple a day, and a few more people coming next week.
So it took a few days to get used to, but I am really starting to enjoy it and definitely is making me appreciate the "simple life" ain't so simple(thanks Van Halen).
I know this is a long post, but I haven't been able to get to a computer all week, but I miss all of you and will be posting on here more! Feel free to call me anytime, I have been busy but would love to here some familiar voices!
Stacy
No comments:
Post a Comment